How does our virtual race work?
Between the dates of October 31 and November 22, run or walk the virtual course that you chose when you registered. Our event will offer several virtual versions of walk/run events- a 1 mile walk/run anywhere event utilizing any 1 mile route that the participant chooses, three 5K events - one utilizing any 5K route that the participant chooses and two that will utilize a certified 5K course. Each choice will allow use of the RaceJoy application from RunSignup to capture and record time and distance or a participant can record their time for any of the "run anywhere" courses using their Garmin, FitBit, or whatever method they choose and manually submit their time.
The only requirement for the "run anywhere" events is that the participants complete the walk/run in one session. Participants may utilize the RaceJoy application to record their time and distance or they can manually record and submit their time. We will post the time on the RunSignUp and Total Race Solutions sites. No awards for the "run anywhere" events.
The participants who choose the Walk/Run on a certified course option will be required to walk/run a certified course. We have chosen two USATF certified courses—one that starts and ends in Tyson Park close to downtown Knoxville, TN and one that starts and ends in the Turkey Creek area of West Knoxville. Both courses are out and back courses. The Tyson Park course will utilize a greenway and some streets on the UT Ag Campus. The Tyson Park Course USATF certification number is TN19070MS. Click Tyson to view the course map and description for this course. The West Knoxville Course will utilize a greenway and residential streets. The West Knoxville Course is USATF number is TN11028MS. Click West Knox to view the course map and description for this course. In order to be eligible for awards for one of the certified courses, participants must utilize the RaceJoy Application to record their time.
Participants will be able to post their individual results either using the RaceJoy application or manually beginning at 12:00 AM on October 31, 2020 and ending at 11:59 PM on November 22, 2020. Only results captured and posted on the RaceJoy application will be eligible for awards on the certified 5K course.
Manual results may be posted as follows:
Visit the Race Against Cancer Virtual Race - Click here
- Make sure you are logged in.
- Locate the "Results" tab at the top of the menu.
- Click the "Submit Virtual Results" button.
- Next search for your registration either by first and last name or by email address and date of birth.
- Once you have found your registration, select "Submit Virtual Results" and enter your finish time.
We will include RaceJoy utilization for this event to each registered participant as part of the registration fee. Each registered participant will receive detailed instructions on using the RaceJoy application. We have also posted those instructions on this page. The RaceJoy application utilizes a smart phone's gps capability to record distance and time. Instructions for RaceJoy utilization for virtual events are as follows:
- Download RaceJoy from the App Store or Google Play.
- Find Race: Click Featured Races to access the event you are doing or search by name in the search field.
- Set Up Tracking: Click I Want to Be Tracked and follow the prompts carefully. Select the course(s) you plan to complete.
- Enter Your Bib Number for Results: For events offering virtual scored results, enter your bib number provided to you by the race. RaceJoy will then automatically submit your finish data.
- Ensure Proper Settings: Follow RaceJoy's prompts and adjust settings as needed.
Virtual Race Day:
- Click TRACK ME: Make sure to click the green blinking TrackMe button on race day to start the tracking of your phone.
- Select the course you are about to do.
- For Virtual Courses, Click START MY RACE as you begin your walk/run to start your personal clock.
- RaceJoy auto detects when you complete the course distance. No need to click Finish.
- Race Redo for Virtual Events: You have the option to redo a course by clicking the redo button. This is only available for virtual events or on-site events with expanded race dates. Warning: Selecting the redo button will clear previous performance data.